Team SOHO's Comp Team is for athletes who want to train and excel in cross country skiing or biathlon who are between the ages 14-19 years old. The program trains at Soldier Hollow where we utilize mid altitude training, a world class venue, excellent coaches, and unmatched resources to develop regionally, nationally, and and internationally competitive athletes. While developing excellent athletes we also pass on important life lessons like how to deal with failure, being responsible for your actions, and how to get the most out of yourself with the resources you have available to you. The Comp Team is best suited for athletes who have skied for a couple of years and have the basics down. The comp team will then refine the basics and take athletes skiing to the next level.
Training for the Comp Team usually has athletes training between 350-500 plus hours per year based on the athletes training background and physical maturity. The team generally follows the polarized method of training meaning roughly 80% of the training is done at a low intensity (zones 1 & 2) to build a massive aerobic engine. The other 20% of training is either strength training, speed training, or interval training. The team utilizes scientific methods to make sure athletes are training in the correct zones with the use of heart rate monitors and blood lactate analysis. This has really helped our athletes train in the correct zones and make massive improvements. It also helps with pacing of different race distances. In the summer athletes athletes will hike, run, roller ski, play games, and do strength training. In the winter the focus shifts to mostly cross country skiing but we also spend plenty of time running and doing strength training.
Most athletes on the comp team participate year round with a break in April but athletes can also be successful by participating in other sports outside of the winter months and just focus on skiing from December to March.
Athletes on the comp team should have the following equipment to be successful:
Heart Rate Monitor
Water belt or water carrier
Clothing for exercise in all conditions including extreme heat and cold
Skate and classic boots
Skate and classic skis
Skate and classic roller skis
You can register for Winter Comp through this link.